If I had one one to describe this white lasagna soup, it’d be this: luxurious. This soup is so creamy and decadent, it’s hard to believe it’s pumped full of healthy ingredients. The cashews give this soup that creamy factor while the lentil lasagna and the spinach add a healthy boost of protein and fiber. All in all, this nourishing soup screams “comfort food”.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS SOUP:
- It’s quick and easy. I like to keep things simple around here. This isn’t the kind of soup that takes tons of slicing and dicing. Nor is it the kind of soup that takes hours of standing and stirring to carefully develop the flavors. This is more of a “put it all in a pot” kind of soup. Which, if we’re being honest, is more my speed.
- It’s super creamy, yet dairy free. This plant-based soup is vegan and gluten free, but it will surely satisfy everyone! Lately, I’ve been obsessed with cashews to give that creamy, cheesy flavor. They are just so flavorful and easy to blend up and use!
- It is full of healthy ingredients. When you compare soup this to other soups that would more traditionally be full of heavy cream and cheese, this soup cuts back on those less healthy fat sources while still providing satisfying healthy fats, protein and fiber. Plus, the flavor is so delicious you won’t miss those more “traditional” ingredients in the first place!
First, we’re making the cashew cream. In a blender, combine some of the vegetable broth, the cashews, nutritional yeast, juice of half a lemon, and salt & pep. Blend until smooth.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then break up lasagna noodles into the water. Boil until tender. Then, heat your oil in a soup pot and add your red pepper flakes, and fresh black pepper.
Once fragrant, add the rest of the veggie stock, herbs, cashew cream, lemon juice, and noodles. Stir in your spinach just before serving.
Top with fresh parsley, crackers, and any other toppings you’d like!
- You do not need to soak your cashews if you have a high speed/high power blender. If your blender isn’t quite that intense, try soaking your cashews in water overnight, drain, and then blend into cream!
- I made this soup with lentil noodles, however you can choose whichever noodles you like. If you are using semolina flour noodles, you can add them directly to the soup to cook in the broth. However, I have found that with the lentil noodles I chose, they make the broth too starchy to cook them directly in the soup.
OTHER DELICIOUS PLANT-BASED SOUPS:
Easy Creamy Vegan White Lasagna Soup
FOR THE CASHEW CREAM:
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 tablespoon shallot-infused olive oil (or: oil of choice + ½ teaspoon garlic powder +½ teaspoon onion powder)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- several cracks fresh cracked pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- juice from ½ lemon
- 6 oz green lentil lasagna noodles (or: 6-8 oz pasta of choice)
- 5 oz baby spinach
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS (per bowl):
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 handful crackers
- Blend: In a blender, add the vegetable broth, cashews, nutritional yeast, juice of half a lemon, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth to make cashew cream.
- Boil: In a large pot, boil salted water. Break up lasagna noodles into 1-2 inch pieces and boil for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse.
- Bloom: In a soup pot on medium heat, add oil, fresh black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Allow to heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Simmer: Add the oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth, cashew cream, and pasta to the soup. Bring to a simmer.
- Serve: Once soup is simmering, turn off heat and stir in spinach. Top with fresh parsley, additional pinch of red chili flakes or desired garnishes and serve.
- If you wish to use fresh onion and garlic, you can add 4-6 cloves minced garlic and ½ diced sweet onion. Heat in oil until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- If your blender is not high power, consider soaking cashews overnight, draining, and then blending into cashew cream.
This recipe was adapted from Rabbit & Wolves' Vegan White Lasagna Soup