Tasty food definitely doesn't need garlic and onion! That's why I've gathered this collection of no onion, no garlic recipes to highlight the many flavorful and satisfying dishes that can be made without it.
Why Avoid Garlic and Onion?
- Some avoid onion and garlic for religious purposes, either all the time or during certain times, such as having sattvic food during the Hindu festival of Navarati.
- Some are sensitive to fructans or are following a low FODMAP diet.
- Some just dislike onion or garlic flavor!
Whatever your reason for avoiding garlic and onion, there are sure to be some recipes for you in this collection!
Adding Flavor Without Garlic or Onion
Garlic and onion are common aromatics to add umami, pungent, slightly sweet flavors to dishes. Here are some tips for adapting your onion and garlic recipes:
- Add plenty of aromatic spices. Amp up the asafetida, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, smoked paprika, curry powder, cinnamon, or whatever other spices you love.
- Try infused oils. If your gut can't tolerate onion and garlic, try out infused oils! They add the flavor of onion and garlic without upsetting your gut!
- Add other umami ingredients. Add fennel, mushrooms, tomato paste, soy sauce, or nutritional yeast to add another savory layer of flavor to your dish.
Now that we've covered some basics about onion and garlic-free foods let's get into these recipes!
Trying breakfasts that lean on the sweeter side is an easy way to go garlic and onion free. Still, there are some savory options here if you are on team savory breakfast!
Pistachio Banana Smoothie with Avocado
Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal
2-Ingredient Oat Milk Chia Pudding
Overnight Oats with Cranberries and Cinnamon
Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl
Sweet Potato Porridge
Tiramisu Overnight Oats
Low FODMAP Shakshuka
High Protein Cinnamon Roll Overnight Oats
Za'atar Spiced Low FODMAP Tofu Scramble
No sliced red onion or sneaky garlic-filled dressing on these salads!
Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
Radicchio Salad with Vinaigrette
Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
Shaved Vegetable Salad
Apple and Cucumber Salad
Kale Apple Salad
Sprouted Mung Bean Salad
Fruity Moroccan Couscous Salad
Spicy Watermelon Jalapeño Salad
Find the perfect side dish for casual weeknights to fancier special occasions with this versatile collection.
Whole Grilled Cauliflower
Creamy Hummus without Garlic
Oven Roasted Vegetables
Shakarkandi Ki Chaat (Sweet Potato Street Food)
Zeytinyağlı Pırasa Yemeği (Turkish Braised Leeks)
Jeera Aloo (Cumin Spiced Potatoes)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Hot Honey Brussel Sprouts
Instant Pot Aloo Matar
Farinata Di Ceci (Italian Chickpea Pancake)
Quick Eryngii Mushrooms
Instant Pot Palak Rice (Indian Spinach Rice)
Honey Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Baked Portobello Mushrooms
Mango with Chili Lime Salt
Try out one of these satisfying main dishes as the star of your next meal.
Vegan Chili Mac
Creamy Broccoli Pasta
Tempeh BLT Sandwich
Brown "Butter" and Sage Pumpkin Soup
Spaghetti with Zucchini
Red Lentil Dal
Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwich
Chickpea Spinach Curry
Tofu Spring Rolls
Lemon Broccoli Chickpea Pasta
Thanks for browsing this collection of onion-free garlic-free recipes! If you found some recipes you'd like to make, don't forget to pin this post to Pinterest so you don't lose it!