Once in a while, we all get that sudden sugar craving that needs to be satisfied immediately. When that craving hits, mustering up the energy to prepare (and clean up after) baking an entire batch of cookies can feel daunting. Enter the easy vegan microwave cookie, the perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth in under five minutes with minimal clean-up. Plus, it's made from simple ingredients likely already sitting in your pantry.
You Will Love This Recipe
- It's easy to make. No more waiting for a whole batch of cookies to bake. This microwave cookie is ready in a flash for a quick and easy dessert fix.
- It's perfect for sweets cravings. We all have them (yes, even Dietitians!). When that sweet tooth strikes, this vegan microwave cookie will come to the rescue.
- It's gluten free friendly. If you're following a gluten-free diet, this cookie recipe saves the day. It works perfectly gluten-free flour to ensure everyone can enjoy this treat.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- All-purpose flour: King Arthur gluten-free flour also works great here, but feel free to experiment with other flours, like almond, oat, or whole wheat flour.
- Baking powder: This adds some fluffiness to the cookie.
- Chocolate chips: Feel free to measure with your heart to fully satisfy that chocolate chip cookie craving. If you want vegan chocolate chips, Enjoy Life brand is available at most grocery stores.
- Salt: A pinch of salt in the cookie dough and a sprinkle on top help to emphasize the sweet caramel and chocolatey flavors of this cookie. I love using smoked salt to top my baked goods, but frankly, that's pretty extra of me.
- Light brown sugar: While light brown sugar gives some depth, regular cane or coconut sugar is also fine here. If you try using a liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup, I'd recommend decreasing the water by half.
- Oil: A neutral oil, such as canola or vegetable oil, is easy to mix in. Alternatively, melted coconut oil or vegan butter also works. You may also be able to try nut or seed butters, though I have not tested this.
- Vanilla extract: Gives that softly floral flavor but can easily be omitted.
1. In a microwave-safe, very small bowl or mug, add the dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Use a fork to stir them until they are well combined.
2. Add the chocolate chips and stir to coat them in the flour mixture.
3. Add the wet ingredients and stir until a cookie dough forms.
4. Use a spoon, a small spatula, or your fingers to smooth the dough into a cookie shape. Optionally, sprinkle with a second pinch of salt and a few extra chocolate chips.
5. Cook the cookie on high for 1 minute. The cookie is done when it appears darker in color through the center with a matte texture.
6. Dig in with a fork and a glass of plant milk!
- Peanut butter delight: Swirl in a spoonful of your favorite peanut butter before microwaving for an extra layer of nutty goodness.
- Oil-free version: Substitute plant milk, such as soy milk, for the oil. The texture is a bit softer, like a mug cake, but it is still delicious!
- Oatmeal cookie twist: Love oatmeal cookies? Add a dash of cinnamon and a Tablespoon of rolled oats for a microwave oatmeal cookie.
This single-serve cookie is best enjoyed fresh and warm.
- Do not eat this cookie dough raw, as raw flour is a high risk for foodborne illness.
- Feel free to customize your microwave cookie with your favorite mix-ins, such as nuts, dried fruit, or even a dollop of vegan ice cream on top!
- Next time you have the energy to go for that whole batch of cookies, try my vegan matcha cookies or crisp vegan gingersnaps.
This is because raw flour is at risk of containing harmful bacteria, including E. Coli.
This will depend on your microwave power. I found that cooking for exactly 1 minute works best with my 900-watt microwave. If you do not know the power of your microwave, check the door or the back of the microwave. If your microwave is higher power, decrease the power by 10% for every 100 watts (for example, if your microwave is 1,200 watts, cook this cookie for 1 minute at 70% power). If your microwave is lower power, increase the cooking time by 10 seconds for each 100 watts (for example, if your microwave is 600 watts, cook the cookie for 1 minute 30 seconds).
Easy Vegan Microwave Cookie (gluten free friendly)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or other neutral-flavor oil)
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a microwave-safe, very small bowl or mug, add the dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Use a fork to stir them until they are well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to coat them in the flour mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir until a cookie dough forms.
- Use a spoon, a small spatula, or your fingers to smooth the dough into a cookie shape. Optionally, sprinkle with a second pinch of salt and a few extra chocolate chips.
- Cook the cookie on high for in a 900W microwave for 1 minute. See Notes 3 and 4 for recommendations based on microwave power. The cookie is done when it appears darker in color with a matte texture through the center.
- Nutrition facts will vary based on brands and substitutions.
- Weight for flour is with compacted Tablespoons (as if it were scooped out of the container with a Tablespoon).
- 1 minute cooking time is based on 900W microwave. For higher watt, decrease power by 10% for each additional 100W. For lower watt, increase cooking time by 10 seconds for each less 100W.
- If unsure of microwave watts, cook for 30 seconds and then continue cooking in 15-second increments until the cookie appears cooked through.