This lemon broccoli chickpea pasta has a perfectly balanced flavor with super simple ingredients. The bright, lemony sauce and the bitter, earthy broccoli make for a perfect pair. What’s more, this pasta has a healthful punch of protein and fiber thanks to the power of chickpeas! Overall, this easy chickpea pasta is one satisfying meal that also happens to be great for you!
YOU’LL LOVE THIS PASTA:
- It’s easy to make. Made primarily of pantry ingredients, this vegan pasta is a dream to throw together. These ingredients are always in my pantry, so making this meal the perfect “oops I got home too late, what can I throw together?” dish. Having a few of these types of meals up your sleeve is always a great idea.
- It is made with simple ingredients. No label reading here! As a Dietitian, I can be a bit picky with what foods I bring into my home. All of these ingredients are so simple, it’s really easy to make that decision. Two thumbs up for simple, nutritious ingredients!
- It is super filling. Something great about using good ol’ garbanzo beans in place of more traditional meat and wheat pasta dishes means we still get great protein (26 grams per serving!), while reducing the amount of less-healthy fat and simple carbohydrates. All that to say, this pasta fills you up and keeps you full for hours.
First, preheat your oven. Toss your broccoli florets and reserved chickpeas in salt, pep, and some oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
Cook your pasta according to the package directions, in salted water. Reserve some of the pasta water after cooking.
While the pasta is boiling, add oil to your pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add your red pepper flakes and black pepper (as well as shallot if using). When you can smell the spices, add your chickpeas, pasta water and lemon juice.
Using the back of a wooden spoon or another utensil with a flattened surface, smash the chickpeas to create a thickened sauce. If the mixture becomes too thick, add some more pasta water. If the mixture seems thin, continue smushing chickpeas and allowing more of the water to cook off.
When the mixture resembles a chunky sauce, turn the heat to low and add the pasta, broccoli, and lemon zest. Taste your creation and add additional salt, pepper, or lemon juice as needed. Now, you’re ready to top with your roasted chickpeas and serve!
- Mix up your veggies! I chose to add roasted broccoli to mine, but I have also made this pasta with steamed broccoli and peas (yep, from a freezer bag). Cherry tomatoes and zucchini could make this a great summer dish, too!
- Use your favorite pasta no problem. I prefer to use chickpea pasta, but you can use a more traditional pasta no problem. Plus, the pasta water will still make a great sauce!
- You can also make this pantry pasta sauce with other beans. Don’t have chickpeas on hand? I have also made this creamy pasta sauce using white beans and even butter beans with pretty good success! Check out my guide for more chickpea substitutions!
IF YOU LIKED THIS LEMON BROCCOLI CHICKPEA PASTA, YOU'LL ALSO LOVE THESE EASY DINNERS:
Easy Creamy Vegan White Lasagna Soup
Spiced Chickpea Grain Bowls and Creamy Tahini Dressing
Easy Lemon Broccoli Chickpea Pasta
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1 cup chickpeas reserved
- 4 tablespoon shallot-infused olive oil (or: 4 tablespoon oil of choice + one minced shallot)
- 1 (8-9 oz) box chickpea rotini, 1-2 cups of pasta water reserved (or: favorite pasta)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Roast: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss broccoli and one cup of chickpeas in 1 tablespoon oil, with a pinch of salt and several cracks of pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- Boil: Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, reserving 1-2 cups of pasta water.
- Bloom: Add the remaining 3 tablespoon of oil to a large sauté pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the red pepper flakes and several cracks of black pepper. Add the minced shallot at this time as well, if using.
- Mash: Once the spices are fragrant, add the remaining chickpeas, lemon juice, and ½ cup of pasta water. Using the back of a wooden spoon or a heat-safe masher, mash the chickpeas into a chunky sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, add additional pasta water. If it seems too thin, allow additional liquid to cook off.
- Combine: When the sauce appears homogenous, add the broccoli, pasta, and lemon zest. Stir gently to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or lemon as needed. Top with roasted chickpeas and serve!
This recipe was inspired by Bon Appetit’s Pantry Pasta with Creamy Vegan Sauce and Making Thyme for Health’s Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Lemon Pasta.
Leave a Reply