This chickpea noodle soup has all the comforts of our favorite “healing” soup, only this one’s entirely plant-based. Chicken noodle soup is a nostalgic classic, and this soup is sure to satisfy that comfort food itch, while boosting the healthy fiber and antioxidants of the original. I love cradling a bowl of this vegan noodle soup while snuggled up on a cold winter day.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS SOUP:
- It’s super satisfying. This soup is packed full of ingredients that are not only yummy, but also nourishing. Swapping out the more traditional noodles and chicken for chickpea-based alternatives adds an extra boost of fiber and antioxidants. Who knew our favorite cold-remedy soup could get even more healing?
- It is full of slow-cooked flavor. Throwing this soup into the slow cooker isn’t just easy, it also means the all-day simmer gives lots of time for the soup’s flavor to develop. Plus, adding the extra pop of lemon and fresh herbs makes sure it's got a lightness in addition to the depth.
- It is great for everyone. This soup isn’t just great tasting, it is also vegan and gluten free. That makes this soup great for your next potluck or family gathering!
To your slow cooker, add the veggies, chickpeas, seasonings, oil, and broth. Slow cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
About ten minutes before serving, turn the cooker to high and stir in your noodles. Just before serving, add the lemon juice and parsley. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
- Feel free to use your favorite noodles. I prefer to use lentil or chickpea noodles for the boost of protein and fiber, however egg or semolina noodles work great in this recipe too!
- You can also cook this soup on the stovetop. Simply sauté your veggies and seasonings for about 10 minutes, add your broth and chickpeas and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Then, add the noodles. Allow to simmer another 7-10 minutes before adding your fresh parsley and lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
- Get creative! I bet this soup would be really tasty with a handful or two of baby spinach thrown in at the end, or maybe some coconut milk to make it creamy. Comment to let me know what changes you make, I’d love to try them!
OTHER YUMMY SLOW COOKER DINNERS:
Vegan Slow Cooker Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp shallot-infused olive oil (OR: 2 Tbsp oil of choice, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder)
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional, adds mild spice)
- 6 cups vegetable broth, unsalted
- 1 (8 oz) box chickpea or lentil pasta (or 8 oz pasta of choice)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- crackers, for serving (optional, be sure to use gluten free crackers for gluten free meal)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Combine: In your slow cooker, combine the carrots, celery, chickpeas, oil, thyme, rosemary, sage, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and broth.
- Simmer: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Boil: When nearly ready to serve, turn slow cooker up to high and add pasta. Allow pasta to cook until al dente, about 7-10 minutes.
- Garnish: Turn off slow cooker and stir in parsley and lemon juice. Add additional salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Serve: Serve with your favorite crackers and additional (optional) lemon.
- Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This recipe is adapted from Cooking Classy's Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup