This lentil tortilla soup is creamy and hearty while also tasting surprisingly fresh. This easy and healthy soup gets its creamy factor from coconut milk, and its protein from lentils and beans. The smoky, savory flavor this soup has without any meat is unbeatable!
YOU’LL LOVE THIS LENTIL TORTILLA SOUP:
- It’s quick and easy. I mean, quick and easy is kind of the name of my game. I love slow cooker meals like this because 15 minutes in the morning leads to a delicious, healthy meal by evening. That’s why this soup ends up in the dinner rotation about every other week (I wish I was exaggerating).
- It is flavor-packed. Not shying away from the spices in this recipe ensures this soup has smoky, spicy, savory flavor without any animal products.
- It is great for everyone. This soup isn’t just vegan/vegetarian, it’s also gluten free! Plus, it’s so yummy even your most steak-and-potatoes friends will likely love it. This is also a great meal for amateur cooks, considering how easy the prep is! Overall, this soup is a real crowd pleaser.
With your slow cooker on high, add the oil and spices. Allow this mixture to heat while you gather and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
From there, add everything besides the coconut milk and set the slow cooker to your desired setting. Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
When ready to serve, stir in coconut milk, portion into bowls, and pack it with toppings (you don’t have to do that last one, but I do)! Enjoy!
- Speed things up even more by putting all the ingredients besides the coconut milk together in one step. I like to add the spices and oil first to bloom for maximum flavor, but this isn’t absolutely necessary.
- Go topping crazy! Part of what I love about tortilla soup is how many fun toppings I get to add! Aside from what I’ve already included in the recipe, you can always add tortilla strips for a more authentic experience, roasted corn for even more smoky flavor, or a big ol’ dollop of sour cream (or vegan “sour cream”) for more tanginess. When I pack leftover soup for work, I love to add some tajín to add tanginess without having to slice and squeeze a fresh lime at my desk.
- While very yummy, this Mexican-inspired soup is nowhere near authentic. I am no expert in Mexican cuisine, though I do wholeheartedly appreciate it. Mexico in my Kitchen’s Chicken Tortilla Soup is a much more authentic take (non-vegetarian)!
OTHER COZY SLOW COOKER SOUPS YOU'LL LOVE:
- 1-2 Tbsp shallot-infused olive oil (OR: oil of choice + 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ancho chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional, for mild spice)
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa verde (or your favorite salsa)
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- ¾ cup red lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup corn, frozen (OR: fresh or canned)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 fresh avocado
- 1 standard bag tortilla chips (OR: tortilla strips)
- several fresh limes, for squeezing over top
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Bloom: Set slow cooker to high. Add oil, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, and cayenne. Allow spices to heat while gathering/preparing other ingredients
- Combine: When the spices are fragrant, add the stock, kidney and black beans, salsa, green chiles, bell peppers, lentils, corn and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Cook: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve: Just before serving, mix in the coconut milk. Top with avocado, tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
- Store: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
This recipe was adapted from Peas and Crayons' Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup.