What’s more fun than cheese fondue? Something about cheese fondue always screams “this is gonna be a fun night”. Maybe it’s the skewering of all the petite foods to dip in the gooey goodness? Or maybe it’s just the “choose your adventure” set up of it all. Either way, this vegan version keeps all the fun of the original, while boosting the health factor.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS VEGAN CHEESE FONDUE:
- It is simple to make. It doesn’t get much easier than blend and heat. I find it takes more time for me to put all the dipping foods out than it does to actually make the fondue! For something that feels like such a treat, it almost feels too easy to create.
- It is lactose and dairy free. Using cashews and nutritional yeast to get that cheesy flavor means no dairy (or any other animal products, for that matter).
- It is healthed-up. Using cashews as the base means this fondue is rich in fiber, plant protein and heart-healthy fat sources. Plus, cashews are rich in micronutrients such as magnesium and copper, which play important roles in immune and bone health.
Blend all the ingredients on high, pausing to scrape down the sides one or two times to ensure everything is very smooth.
Then, pour the mixture into a small nonstick pot on medium heat. Stir the mixture over the heat until it has noticeably thickened.
Then, serve! It’s really that easy! To keep it evenly warm, it is best to serve in a fondue pot with a tea light or other heating element to keep the fondue warm and gooey.
- Use a high-powered blender to get a very smooth fondue. If you do not have a high-powered blender, consider soaking your cashews in water overnight to soften them. This requires a bit more planning, but will really help to make sure you have a smooth and convincingly cheesy fondue!
- While I love my take on cheese fondue, it is definitely not authentic. The history of fondue is very interesting and worth a read. Obviously, there is only so close to authentic cheese fondue one can get without actual cheese, but adding some Kirschwasser brandy could certainly get this recipe closer! If you try adding some Kirsch, definitely comment to let me know how it was!
OTHER EASY “CHEESY” RECIPES:
Vegan Cheese Fondue
- Blend: Add all ingredients to a high-power blender. Blend on high speed until mixture is smooth. Scrape down sides with a spatula and run blender again on high speed to ensure mixture is completely smooth.
- Heat: Transfer mixture to a small nonstick saucepan and place on the stovetop on medium heat. Stir continually as mixture begins to heat through and thicken, 10-15 minutes.
- Serve: Serve in a fondue pot or as preferred.